Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday Tunes: Christmas

In keeping with the spirit of Christmas, let’s talk Christmas Carols. My iPod is chocked full of Christmas tunes.

6 different versions of The First Noel, Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, and Away in a Manger.

5 Frosty the Snowman’s and 4 versions of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Over 10 hours of Christmas music in all.

I have everything from Shirley Temple’s, “I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas” to Nat King Cole’s, “The Christmas Song.” My favorites right now are The Statler Brother’s version of “Old Toy Trains,” Sara Evans’ “O Come All Ye Faithful,” and “Hard Candy Christmas” by Dolly Parton.

“Old Toy Trains” reminds of my sister and her annual high school show choir Christmas Concert. We would go each year long after her high school days were over, and they were still putting on the same show. I literally cried when they retired the routines that they had used for far too many years.

“O Come All Ye Faithful” reminds me of the road trips I would take with my best friend Shannon. Sara Evans’ version was on the Country Christmas 1999 CD, and we fell in love with it. We would listen to it all year long, singing at the top of our lungs, convinced we were blending right in with the award-winning singer. We were such nerds. Andy Griffith’s gospel CD and the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz were also staples in our cross-country sing a longs. A few years ago I lost my ’99 CD. I was devastated, but finally found it on ebay. Apparently it was a lot of people’s favorite, because it ended up going for around $40. Listen to her sing that song and you’ll know it was well worth it. For the record, you can get a used one right now on Amazon $0.93.

“Hard Candy Christmas” is just good stuff, and Dolly Parton singing anything makes me happy.

What’s your favorite Christmas song? Whose version is the best? Why? Click on comments and let me know. I am always up for adding one more version of a classic carol.



6 comments:

  1. N'Sync's "Merry Christmas and Happy holidays". Me and Stew often dance around to this at Christmas time. This year he asked me to play it starting in November. haha! He would never admit it. And "All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. George Strait's "Christmas Cookies" is a new fav! Love Christmas music!!! Merry Christ, T!
    Love ya,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Candace

    I'll have to check out the 'N Sync tune, especially since I practically know Lance right. As for Mariah, hands down the best pop Christmas tune ever. I have it on my iPod twice so that when it's on shuffle it comes around more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous
    I see you've been listening to Country Christmas '99. I also love the ones by Mark Wills, Alecia Elliot, and Rebecca Lynn Howard. Really though it's hard to beat George Strait and Christmas together.

    So happy you're still trekking along with us here. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Drummer Boy...any version, any time, any day....stops me in my tracks EVERY TIME....lump in my throat, the works....the simple message gets me everytime....EEEEVERYBODY HAS A GIFT TO BRING!!!! Ba rump abum bum!

    XOXO! -irene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @irene gilmore page
    I'm with you sista. I have a great version by Josh Groban. Do you remember the old claymation cartoon that used to come on TV every year? Bet the kiddos would love that.

    ReplyDelete